Huntah

My latest stupid idea

I have a crazy idea that in my head my help revive the server and make it more action packed.

Simply put, I'm thinking of making the server into more of an action game than an RPG/Sim, ill explain....

Basic Idea

A city will be the 'Home city / Lobby' something like that, in this area people can buy a house and meet up with other players to arrange missions they want to do.

Players will select missions from a list, they will qualify to begin higher tier missions as they level up.

- Illegal Missions be like...

When a player starts a mission, his group will be asked ("Would you like to join this bank robbery with Dave?") If they select yes they will be teleported to the bank where they will select a loadout (based on weapons/gear they have unlocked) and the bank robbery will begin a minute or so later.

Police officers, like Civs will sit around at a PD waiting for things to start (Maybe doing AI missions if nothing is happening that can be quickly canceled so they can respond)

Like Civs they will see ("The Bank is being robbed, do you want to respond"), when they select yes they will teleported to a certain area, select a loadout and a vehicle and then respond.

- Legal Missions be like...

Similar to how they are now, however they wont require your own vehicles, instead you will be supplied vehicles based on your level with that particular job, you will be able to cancel the job whenever and return to the 'lobby city'

While out in the 'wild' (Not in the lobby city and not at one of the illegal OP areas) you will only be allowed to be armed with small firearms, enough to kill weak AI and defend yourself from anybody who attempts to rob you (not sure how that will work yet)

Why the change?

We've never been a strict RP server and honestly a lot of the code has been wasted on a small population who like to 'roleplay', this version will still be semi 'roleplay' since you will be performing missions and earning money by taking jobs, however the need to declare and a ton of other rules could be completely removed, making for much more enjoyable fast paced combat, something most of us like.

What about the role players?

People performing jobs out in the 'wild' will be able to enjoy much more enhanced roleplay as they will not find themselves attacked by hordes of cops or rebels, since that action will be taking place elsewhere. 

Police will still be able to explore in the 'wild' also, completing police missions and interacting with those performing legal jobs. Declaration rules in such areas could be changed to be more relaxed since those in these areas will not be heavily armed, because of this the police will not have to be either.

Whitelist Civs?

There may not be room for whitelist civs with this style of gameplay, it may not be worth adding them in as they could take too much time away from developing things for the core playerbase of 'heavy action combat players and those out making money'

An example of a typical bank robbery mission with this new idea

* Dave logs into the lobby city and has a talk with some people there, he and a few others decide to start a bank robbery mission
* They join up in the same group and Dave initiates the mission
* Dave's three mates are prompted to join him and they all accept
* A gear selection screen opens and all four guys get to choose their loadouts for this mission, Dave is a high level so he selects some high tier weaponry and an RPG
* The leader gets to chose get away vehicles too (since to complete the mission the money bags will need to be delivered to a nearby location)
* The mission starts and the four guys are at the bank, they park their get away cars and await the police response
* The police get prompted that a bank robbery is in progress and click to respond
* Police who have clicked to respond now get a gear selection screen, the weapons available depend on what the attacking group is using, for example since Dave has an RPG, cops of the current rank will have access to use RPG's (maybe not even rank locked, maybe skill locked)
* The police spawn at a safezone nearby the bank and are provided with vehicles to respond in, they then head to the bank and begin combat - No dec is needed
* The rebels kill all the cops but the cops will have a predetermined amount of lives available to them, depending on the ratio of responding cops and the rebels at the bank.
* Once the bank doors blow the robbers will take the money bags like normal and using their getaway vehicle they will be informed of a location where they must take the money bags to in order to complete the mission
* If they reach this point and deliver the bags the entire group will rewarded with money and XP points
* If they fail they will simply die and be sent to the 'Lobby city' or to jail (if we care to keep a jail)
* If the cops win they will all receive money and XP instead

An example of a truck driver job

* Dave logs into the lobby city and isn't in the mood for combat, he selects truck driving missions to earn some cash
* Arming himself will be his job at a gun store, remembering that only small firearms can be bought and used in the 'wild'
* He is provided with a location to pick his truck up from, once in his truck he will be giving locations to go to to complete his mission
* At anytime in the 'wild' he can open a menu to cancel his mission, this will end all progress, delete the truck etc and teleport him back to the lobby city - This of course wont be allowed to be done during a roleplay experience such as being pulled over for a license check by cops

Why would you need money?

Although you will get to quickly select a loadout when performing an illegal mission, they will still have a cost depending on their power. If a player is too poor to buy a decent gun he can select the option 'Im poor give me any weapon' and will be provided with a weapon, however it will be randomly selected from a list of low tier guns.

Money could be used for other reasons also, such as things to buy in the 'wild'

Anyway tell me your opinions? If enough people are interested ill put this together. Might be something that keeps The Darkside alive and kicking until Arma 4 is released.

• Like 1
  • +1 4
  • 1G 11
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, Huntah said:

A city will be the 'Home city / Lobby' something like that, in this area people can buy a house and meet up with other players to arrange missions they want to do.

yep i think this is much needed, the safezone has always been a social lobby for most new players and i have met a fair few people there

however the need to declare and a ton of other rules could be completely removed, making for much more enjoyable fast paced combat, something most of us like.

this has definitely been problematic especially for new players with the complexity of decelerations, also less game issues

* Police who have clicked to respond now get a gear selection screen, the weapons available depend on what the attacking group is using, for example since Dave has an RPG, cops of the current rank will have access to use RPG's (maybe not even rank locked, maybe skill locked)

100% this is a must for new players, they get shat on by cops majority of the time and this would balance it out (preventing a few new dudes with stings getting merked by a bunch of full auto LMGs)

Although you will get to quickly select a loadout when performing an illegal mission, they will still have a cost depending on their power. If a player is too poor to buy a decent gun he can select the option 'Im poor give me any weapon' and will be provided with a weapon, however it will be randomly selected from a list of low tier guns.

definitely would be helpful as i know myself and many others dont really play to grind anymore we just want quick action wherever possible

* If they fail they will simply die and be sent to the 'Lobby city' or to jail (if we care to keep a jail)

i think jail should still be kept but times reduced and some sort of interesting activities on the inside (some servers have paintball etc), i have personally dealt with people combat logging because they cannot be fucked going to jail but on a server that has cops vs civs i think a jail is a must (personally)

although @Mongoosealready does this religiously (and CoSW was pretty much a new player hub), i think it would be cool to have more long term players / staff like him to play with new players more frequently and teach them the ropes if these changes aren't gonna be made as ive found the learning curve is super "hit or miss"

on Escape from Tarkov's discord they have assigned "Sherpa volunteers", which works like this:

GmkPQ2M.jpg

if we want to bring in more new players we need to have systems in place to cater for them, hopefully if you implement these changes that pretty much set up ops and balance them out for players i think it will take away alot of responsibility such as cops dealing with new players 

Edited by Mike
  • 1G 1
8 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

What would happen to armed vehicles? I feel like they add a whole other level to the server.

I guess while selecting your 'Get away vehicle' armed vehicles could be selectable too, which of course would mean the cops would see armed vehicles in their response vehicle selection.

Also new missions could be created that center around armed vehicle combat, rather than armed vehicles simply being support you could initiate some kind of mission where you battle with police in armed vehicles, air land and/or sea.

• 1G 1

Personally i think id get bored very quickly. I think adding gang wars would be fun a change of combat and in different places

Maybe AI mission that are only on during Low Pop Mode that gangs can fight over for materials/Weapons ETC would be a fun thing for everyone 

• +1 1

I think this would be an amazing idea for a separate server. As people have stated many times, its not just rp servers that are dying but more arma itself. Server pop atm is slowly rising, very slowly sure but its getting there. I think a massive change like this will impact the player base but not in a good way. The freedom players have on darkside is what makes it enjoyable, no matter if youre in a gang or on civ. As fun as it sounds I think people might just get burned out and bored too quickly 

• +1 4

I separate server will split our player base and not a good idea. If we had max players or like 60-80 players daily it would be one thing

17 minutes ago, IceBrg said:

I separate server will split our player base and not a good idea. If we had max players or like 60-80 players daily it would be one thing

A massive change like this would also split the player base 

2 minutes ago, Sleppy said:

A massive change like this would also split the player base 

Maybe maybe not I mean we are on a DLC map already (Yes i know we are giving keys away but not everyone has joined the website) I really dont think it will get more split

Personally I think Modded Combat RP would be hella fucking fun.

Or even a complete rework of Cop would be cool

19 minutes ago, IceBrg said:

Maybe maybe not I mean we are on a DLC map already (Yes i know we are giving keys away but not everyone has joined the website) I really dont think it will get more split

Or even a complete rework of Cop would be cool

Tbh darkside modded would be the best. Especially for cops

• Like 1
Just now, Sleppy said:

Couldnt agree more.
Imagine Repelling into combat from a helicopter omg 

1 minute ago, IceBrg said:

Couldnt agree more.
Imagine Repelling into combat from a helicopter omg 

That would actually add a complete new aspect to cops and change how we think about entering a situation. Im a big fan

Just now, Sleppy said:

That would actually add a complete new aspect to cops and change how we think about entering a situation. Im a big fan

Oh ya and even for rebels they would have to think of new tactics for defending because we would have more strats to attacking

Ngl, my personal opinion, not really keen, just seems it encourages people to spam ops and such and I would personally find it boring, it would basically be like playing invade and annex really but without AI which I get bored of quickly. But that's just my opinion. 

• 1G 1

Obviously I don’t play civ but I believe this will take away from a lot of the grind and memes of Darkside, I think half of the fun was getting good weapons to be able to do ops.

I personally don’t like the idea of making cops match weapons, for me it just kinda seems like it gets rid of the purpose of different ranks especially if anyone gets access to an RPG 

JUST MY OPINION

• 1G 2

For everyone saying this will kill server pop,

Every time there is a relatively major change to our low pop status there is always people that say it will kill the server pop. If we make the change and it doesn’t work we can just go back to how it was. At the end of the day it’s just an idea not a full scale plan, plus it might be a refreshing change.

• 1G 1
4 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

For everyone saying this will kill server pop,

Every time there is a relatively major change to our low pop status there is always people that say it will kill the server pop. If we make the change and it doesn’t work we can just go back to how it was. At the end of the day it’s just an idea not a full scale plan, plus it might be a refreshing change.

When put like this it does make it sound like its worth a try. In the end of the day, he did say it was just an idea. Keen to maybe see it come to life tho

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

For everyone saying this will kill server pop

It will kill the cop pop in my opinion. 
 say 4 civs do a Knox against 3 cops, they use MK-1s, that now gives the civs a bigger advantage to an already civ sided op by making the cops use guns that won’t allow them to take the op back, sometimes you need a lynx/Cyrus/mar-10 to win an op like that and if everyone has the same gun I believe that will make it very hard to win the op as a cop

AGAIN, MY OPINION

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

say 4 civs do a Knox against 3 cops, they use MK-1s, that now gives the civs a bigger advantage to an already civ sided op by making the cops use guns that won’t allow them to take the op back, sometimes you need a lynx/Cyrus/mar-10 to win an op like that and if everyone has the same gun I believe that will make it very hard to win the op as a cop

AGAIN, MY OPINION

Idk if you have done the new fort but I defs would not call it civ sidded

8 hours ago, Mike said:

i think jail should still be kept but times reduced and some sort of interesting activities on the inside (some servers have paintball etc), i have personally dealt with people combat logging because they cannot be fucked going to jail but on a server that has cops vs civs i think a jail is a must (personally)

I just can't really envision how a jail could work with this system, how would cops take someone back to a PD, they wont really have one.. Just safe spawn in areas nearby to each op to respond from, and you can't really drive someone into a safezone to jail them.

5 hours ago, Sleppy said:

I think this would be an amazing idea for a separate server. As people have stated many times, its not just rp servers that are dying but more arma itself. Server pop atm is slowly rising, very slowly sure but its getting there. I think a massive change like this will impact the player base but not in a good way. The freedom players have on darkside is what makes it enjoyable, no matter if youre in a gang or on civ. As fun as it sounds I think people might just get burned out and bored too quickly 

I wouldn't consider a split server for obvious reasons.

People would still have freedom, it's just the main ops would be more streamlined and easy to jump in and out of, the map will still be open to those wanting an RP experience.

Why do you think people would get burned out? The lobby city will be a safezone for chilling and meeting people and then starting ops with randoms (or not), you will still completely play at your own pace, you just wont have the long drawn out 'getting ready' for an op stage, then by the time you're ready a cops logged out and you can't start it anymore. 

4 hours ago, IceBrg said:

Slightly off topic but the 'wild' could contain optional mods like air vehicles, cars and trucks etc to make the legal missions more enjoyable. That would mean for people to be allowed to start those jobs they would need to have our modpack installed.

If I restricted the mods to that area only then we could keep the server unlocked to people who don't have the mods and they can still perform the illegal ops with default stuff, so we wouldn't be locking people out who don't have the mods.

4 hours ago, Sleppy said:

As above

4 hours ago, Jenkins- said:

Ngl, my personal opinion, not really keen, just seems it encourages people to spam ops and such and I would personally find it boring, it would basically be like playing invade and annex really but without AI which I get bored of quickly. But that's just my opinion. 

You would find it boring spamming ops yourself or responding to them as cop?

Yes people would be able to start ops a lot easier but there could still be conditions, such as an amount of police required, or instead of that there could be a ratio requirement such as (if you start a knox with 8 people there must be at least 6 cops, but if you started a knox with 3 people there only needs to be 3 cops) stuff like that would be far simpler to code since team mates can't just show up halfway and cops can't just login halfway and join in, they'd have to be there when it begins to enter that mission/op

3 hours ago, BioHazard said:

Obviously I don’t play civ but I believe this will take away from a lot of the grind and memes of Darkside, I think half of the fun was getting good weapons to be able to do ops.

I personally don’t like the idea of making cops match weapons, for me it just kinda seems like it gets rid of the purpose of different ranks especially if anyone gets access to an RPG 

JUST MY OPINION

There would still be a grind, for example if you wanted to make XP and Money legally, you would still be able to grind the legal missions. That money could be spent on cooler vehicles or w/e for the 'wild' or used on loadouts when performing ops.

You would still be grinding out XP during ops, you would still need to level up to unlock abilities, and to even be able to start the high tier ops in the first place. 

25 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

AGAIN, MY OPINION

The code would take into account the ratio of rebels performing the op and amount of cops who are going to respond and then the loadouts would be assigned accordingly. For example if cops were outnumbered like you mentioned, their fire power would be better than the rebels, if they cops however outnumbered the rebels, their firepower could be nerfed to even out the playing field.

Remember ops would change a little if this was to happen, the amount of adjustments that could be made to make the fight as fair as possible is quite exciting to consider, because we've never been able to get a balanced fight since right now with everything wide opened there are far too many variables to consider.

Again, this is only a rough idea, add your thoughts too it. If you think something would be unfair or just boring in general, mention how you believe it could be made more interesting.

We have a unique opportunity here to have a life/combat server that no one else has, new players would probably love the fact they join into a social area and can either jump straight into action or go the long chilled out way, I know I would personally like it.

• Like 2
  • +1 3